MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS: NOT A BAD ACTION FILM MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS: THE MOVIE

Stars: Jason Frank, David Yost Director: Bryan Spicer

Pullquote: Power Rangers is basically a typical action film with a plot about as complex as an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. The only differences are that there's no blood and gore, and that it just happens to star the Power Rangers. The ever-colorful Power Rangers wear armor instead of Spandex suits in the action/adventure film Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie, based on the television series. Photo by Jim Townley /20th Century Fox

by James Geluso

So your kids are begging you to take them to see Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie, and you'd honestly rather have a root canal than see those Spandex-clad heroes fighting some rubber suits on the big screen. Well, don't worry. The movie isn't as bad as the TV series, not by a long shot. Power Rangers is basically a typical action film with a plot about as complex as an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. The only differences are that there's no blood and gore, and that it just happens to star the Power Rangers. The movie begins with the discovery of a giant purple egg. Inside the egg is Ivan Ooze (Paul Freeman), a "morphological being" that was imprisoned 6,000 years ago after a reign of terror. Once he is set free, he immediately goes to wreak havoc on the Power Rangers' Command Center, stripping the Rangers of their power and bringing their mentor, Zordon (Nicholas Bell), to the brink of death. Using the last power available, the Rangers must travel to the planet of Phaedos, where they meet the bikini-clad warrior Dulcea (Gabrielle Fitzpatrick), who introduces them to Ninjetti. The Rangers discover the "animal within" that will later become their new fighting machines, or Zords. The look on Adam's (Johnny Yong Bosch) face, when he discovers that the animal within him is a frog, is worth the price of admission. Once they've gotten their powers back, the Rangers must travel back to Earth, where Ivan Ooze has enslaved the parents of Angel Grove and forced them to unearth his two giant weapons of destruction. The special effects of the movie are what sets it apart from the TV series. They're simply incredible. Ivan's machines and the Rangers' Zords are all computer-animated to perfection. In fact, they're a little too perfect. They're so shiny and move so smoothly that they don't look realistic, and the scene where they assemble to form the Ninja MegaZord looks more like an exercise in computer rendering than actual machines. The costuming, on the other hand, is fantastic. The Power Rangers no longer wear Spandex, but instead have armored suits. Lord Zedd's exposed brain pulses. Even evil henchman Goldar looks better. Ivan Ooze himself benefits from computer morphing technology reminiscent of the T-1000 in Terminator 2. The screenplay is a little disappointing. The only Ranger with a distinct personality is valley-girl Kimberly (Amy Jo Johnson). Bulk and Skull (Paul Schrier and Jason Narvy) get very little screen time, despite the excellent comedy timing the two have developed in the TV series. Basically, the film is fun to watch. People who can get over the fact that they're watching the Power Rangers should have a good time.

******************************************************* *******************************************************

TAKE OFF FIVE DAYS IN JULY TO ENJOY THE RODEO

Even though its music has been played on American films, Canadian country group, Blue Rodeo can't seem to cut it in America. by Sean Fitzpatrick Daily Cougar Staff Blue Rodeo cannot buy a break in America. The Canadian group has sold millions of albums at home and abroad while winning buckets of Juno Awards, the Canadian equivalent of the Grammys. But persistent touring and even token appearances in Meryl Streep movies (after 1990's Casino, the band served as the back-up band for Meryl Streep's country-singing actress in Postcards From the Edge) has failed to open American ears, or radio formats, to its unique blend of country, rock and folk. With Five Days in July, recorded in 1993 but inexplicably delayed in its American release, Blue Rodeo hopes, as with previous "breakthrough" attempts Casino and Lost Together, to break its remarkable American losing streak. Few bands deserve the break more. The Rodeo boasts a truly distinctive rhythm signature, provided by drummer Glenn Milchem and bassist Bazil Donovan, a polished steel-guitar everyman in Kim Deschamps, and the twin threat of songwriters/singers/guitarists Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor, two of the most affecting songsmiths in contemporary music. Past releases have been constantly refined variations on a twang rock/aching-ballad theme -- one of the band's only sins has been predictability. On Five Days, however, they truly open up. Recorded in a farmhouse over, yup, five days in July, the band relaxes into a more acoustic framework and seems to make peace with its country inclinations. "Five Days in May" opens Five Days on a hushed note. Barely supported by Milchem's whispery brushed snare, Keelor stretches his trademark ache into a haunting moan, and Jim Cuddy spins a meditative electric anti-solo into the fade. Sarah McLaughlin, known for her propulsive alternative sound, harmonizes with Jim Cuddy on several tracks, most notably "What is This Love," the album's greatest sonic departure, and the a cappella closer "Tell Me Your Dream." If her day job peters out, she can always hook up with Cuddy and Keelor -- her voice gains worlds of expressive power in the stripped-down surroundings. Since the release of its debut, Outskirts, in 1987, Blue Rodeo has been producing a consistently engaging balance of polished craft and emotional honesty. You can't really categorize the material, but it sure sounds country -- if for no other reason, pick this one up as an alternative to cookie-cutter Nashville.

MCMURTRY QUITS, ZUBER TAKES OVER

by James V. Geluso

Senior Writer

Jennifer Zuber was elected to the post of speaker at the Students' Association Senate meeting Tuesday. Zuber ran for the post in April, but lost to Justin McMurtry. McMurtry resigned at the meeting, effective upon Zuber's swearing in. Zuber received seven votes from the 13 senators present. Sen. Casey McMurtry, Justin's brother, received four votes. There were two abstentions. Zuber will serve until the second meeting of the fall semester, when a new speaker will be elected by the full Senate. Zuber served as a senator in two previous Senates, serving as Speaker Pro Tempore in the 1994-95 Senate. She ran again for speaker in March, but was removed from the race by Election Commissioner Robert Kramp because of allegations of fraud. McMurtry said he was forced to resign because of outside financial pressures. He officially took a leave of absence last week, and was requested by the Senate to report as soon as possible whether he would be able to serve as Speaker in the fall. "It's a position I had looked forward to holding for a long time," McMurtry said. "It's disappointing to have outside circumstances take that away. "I haven't missed a Senate meeting since I got into it (in 1993). It's going to be weird when one happens and I'm not there." McMurtry, who served as a senator in the last two Senates, said he was impressed with the current crop of senators. "This Senate strikes me, on the whole, as being more open-minded than the previous ones I've worked with," he said. The Senate also elected Casey McMurtry to the post of Speaker Pro Tempore. He will give up that post when John Moore, who was called away to work offshore, returns in the fall. Zuber took command of the meeting, but that slipped away quickly when the Senate tried to allocate computers among the offices. SA recently received five new PowerMac 7100 computers, and the subject of where those should go caused division among several senators and left others simply grasping for answers. After a brief presentation by Sen. Andrea Rachiele, President Giovanni Garibay asked that the rules of debate be suspended. Despite a warning from Casey McMurtry, the Senate agreed to this and limited debate to one half-hour. That debate turned into a loud free-for-all, as senators discussed whether to allocate one of the new computers for use as a World Wide Web server, and whether to give one to the Senate secretary, which exists only on paper after being removed from the SA Code last session. Vice President Dom Lewinsohn said he objected to the plan, which would have given him a Mac Classic, saying that he hadn't been consulted. When the half-hour expired, the Senate referred the legislation to the Internal Affairs Committee for further consideration.

UH LAW CENTER DEAN RESIGNS

Despite a recent vote indicating more than 70 percent of the faculty supported his continuing to serve as acting dean of the UH Law Center, Raymond T. Nimmer announced his resignation Tuesday. On July 5, Nimmer sent a letter to UH President-designate Glenn Goerke in which he said, "After extensive discussion and reflection ... I have concluded that in light of all the circumstances, it is time to close out my administrative involvement at the Law Center." In a letter to the faculty of the Law Center Tuesday, Nimmer said, "With all things considered, this is a personal decision to return to other parts of my academic and professional life that were ignored or slighted during the past 18 months." Nimmer, whose resignation takes effect Sept. 1, was named acting dean of the Law Center 18 months ago while a national search for a permanent dean was mounted. The law school has been without a dean for more than two years. According to UH Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Henry Trueba, UH came close to finding a new dean earlier this spring. But the two finalists for the job, Stephen Smith, the dean of the Cleveland Marshall College of Law, and Teresa Schwartz, an associate dean at the National Law Center at George Washington University, withdrew their names from consideration. The national search was terminated the first week of May. At that point, UH President James H. Pickering took over the search for a new dean. Pickering was to announce the course of action the administration would take by the end of May. But, Pickering resigned May 17, apparently leaving the search in limbo. The task of naming another acting dean will fall to Goerke. Goerke said, "Dr. Nimmer is to be commended for the fine job he has done over the last 18 months by continuing the fine traditions of the Law Center." Goerke did not indicate what the next move will be in the search for a new law school dean. Nimmer, who formerly taught at the University of Michigan Law School and the University of Texas at Austin before coming to UH, said he intends to take a one-year sabbatical after leaving his position. However, he added, "If you (Goerke) or the new provost so desire, I am willing to remain present at the school in a faculty position during Fall 1995, while deferring my one-year sabbatical to begin in January 1996.

TWO MEN ROB BURGER KING ON CAMPUS

by James Aldridge

Two men robbed the Burger King at 2901 Cullen Blvd. at gunpoint Thursday ordering three employees to get into the cooler while forcing a night manager to open the cash register. Assistant nighttime managers Ben York and Christina Perez were in the store closing another workday when an employee said, "There's a man coming." At first, Perez thought he was another customer, but the man snatched the phone out of the employee's hand while another man pointed the gun at York. Perez said one of the robbers grabbed her by the shirt and said, "Come here, bitch." The men told the three women to shut up and shoved them and told them to get into the freezer. Perez and the other women were in tears and weren't about to stop them from taking the money. "I'm going to let them take the money; just leave my employees alone," she said she thought at the time. "I saw the gun pointed at Ben and I thought, 'Oh my God,' " she said. "I was afraid that he was going to shoot one of us." York said he really didn't say anything while the gunman kept the gun pointed at his face through the entire robbery, he said. The gunman punched York in the head and then made him open the register. Once York opened the register, the men ran off with $439.55, the police said. When York opened the door to the cooler, the three women were afraid he was one of the robbers at first. "When Ben came back, I hugged him," Perez said. Perez said that before the crime, one of the robbers bought a Whopper and asked what time the store closes. Once he found out that the store would be closed in a few minutes, he and his partner went and robbed Burger King. The men barged in at 9:58 p.m., two minutes before the dining room closed. Burger King has an armed robbery policy of just giving the people the money without confrontation. When Burger King trained Perez as a manager, they told her, "Never act like a hero by not giving the money," she said. York said Burger King didn't really train him how to handle armed robberies. This was the first time the 17-year-old assistant manager was ever involved in a robbery. Hopefully, this will be his last, he said. The police haven't made any arrests yet, and other than York getting hit on the head, there were no other injuries. UHPD Lt. Malcolm Davis said they have some leads but no one has been connected with the robbery. Perez said, "I never thought it would happen to me. I can't do my job. I won't even do my paperwork in the back. I won't even touch it." Perez does her paperwork during the daytime now. Perez hopes the regional management will now provide more security or UHPD will patrol the area more. The campus police has really helped Perez feel more comfortable by sending a car to make sure they leave work safely, she said.