The Daily Cougar Online
Today's Weather

Sunny weather

Hi 88 / Lo 64


University of Houston HomepageUniversity of Houston Department of Student PublicationsUH Houstonian YearbookWestern Association of University Publications ManagersThe Daily Cougar Online StaffThe Daily Cougar Copyright & Web Use NoticeThe Daily Cougar AwardsAbout The Daily Cougar OnlineThe Daily Cougar Campus Spotlight Online FormThe Daily Cougar Online ArchivesThe Daily Cougar Ad Rates & InformationWelcome to The Daily Cougar OnlineThe Daily Cougar Online Campus SpotlightThe Daily Cougar Online ComicsThe Daily Cougar Online Life & ArtsThe Daily Cougar Online SportsThe Daily Cougar Online OpinionThe Dailly Cougar Online News

Student Publications
University of Houston
151C Communications Bldg
Houston, TX 77204-4015
713.743.5350

©1991-2007
Student Publications,
All rights reserved.

Last modified:

Contact:
ktruitt@uh.edu

Volume 72, Issue 42, Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Opinion

Letters to the Editor

Government would not have perpetrated tragedy

To the editor:

As much as I love a good conspiracy theory, I have to say Colin Ferguson's column (Tuesday, Opinion) about 9/11 is ridiculous.

It sounds like bad science fiction. In fact, it is bad science fiction. Before 9/11, the same theory was featured in an episode of a really bad spin-off of The X-Files called The Lone Gunmen.

How exactly did the U.S. government keep all of the conspirators quiet for this long? Why didn't they just park a bomb in the garage of the World Trade Center like in 1993? Is Ferguson going to take "Loose Change" at face value and tell us that not a single soul saw an airliner crash into the Pentagon? 

If the U.S. government perpetuated 9/11, someone would have said something by now. Even if we assume that 95 percent of the American government is out to get us, the other 5 percent would probably have given us a heads up. 

Most importantly, we are not honoring anyone by entertaining this circus. If anything, we're pouring salt on the wounds of those who lost loved ones. I'm flabbergasted at how incredibly silly Ferguson's claims are.

Justin Vann
political science senior


Letters Policy

Letters to the editor are welcome from all members of the UH community and should focus on issues, not personalities. Letters must be typed and must include the author's name, telephone number and affiliation with the University. Anonymous letters will not be published. Letters are subject to editing for clarity, language and space. Letters may be delivered in person to Room 151, Communication; e-mailed to dclettrs@mail.uh.edu ; or faxed to (713) 743-5384.

The Daily Cougar Online
 
 



Tell us how we're doing.

To contact the 
OpinionSection Editor, click the e-mail link at the end of this article.

To contact other members of 
The Daily Cougar Online staff,
click here .



House Ad

Visit The Daily Cougar